Is This the Book That's Going to Make the Non-Reader A Reader?


I'll start by saying I am not a reader, which is odd as I grew up in a house with walls lined with shelves filled with books. But yet, I could never find a book that drew me in and had me wanting to come back for more.

Now time is the reason for my lack of reading but I've decided to give it a go. I've chosen "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. I called my sister up one day, gave her a list of books, asked her to choose one from her home library and this is what she sent me. I'm yet to start it, that's on the agenda for tonight, but I thought I'd give you a little synopsis prior to me beginning the novel.

"The Lovely Bones" was published in 2002 by Little, Brown and reads 328 pages long. The story is read through the eyes of Susie Salmon, a fourteen year old girl, who is deceased and is looking down from heaven as she takes you through the 'haunting and hopeful' events that happen after her passing. "In the weeks following her death, Susie watches life continuing without her....rumours of her disappearance, her family holding out hope that she'll be found and her killer trying to cover his tracks". She explores her new home, heaven, and watches the newcomers adjust to their new environment. Susie takes you along on her birds-eye view of those on earth and how their lives start to return back to normal....or do they return to normal?

I suppose I should start reading to find out what happens and give you all an update in my next post.

Here is a link to a book review of "The Lovely Bones" should you find yourself wanting more after reading this post:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12232938-the-lovely-bones

until next time,
K.




Comments